Monday, April 18, 2011

part 2: 5 More Sources of Creative Inspiration

Default 5 More Sources of Creative Inspiration

Since my post a few days ago about '5 Sources of Creative Inspiration', several readers have mentioned a few more to me. So I have expanded the list with reader suggestions. Thanks to those that brought these inspirations to my attention.



book

6. Books


I really love books. I love everything about them from their contents to their smell. If you have been reading my blog you might recall that under my post on '10 Ways to Improve Your Photos (Part 2)' I mentioned finding a photo hero and getting a book of their work. That is what I did. I carried that book around with me everywhere and looked at images everyday to inspire me and give me a goal.



sunset

7. Sunsets


Sunsets and sunrises are definitely inspiring. There is something about the beginning and the end of the day that creates clarity and peace. I remember reading once a photographer who said that he did not feel that his day was complete unless he saw the sunrise and the sunset. It might be a little work, but it is well worth it.




8. Music


Music is very inspirational in many ways and on many levels. Music has a direct link into the brain and effects us like no other stimulus. That is one of the reasons why music is so vital to films. It triggers instant emotional responses in the audience. I have been a musician longer than I have been a photographer. So music has been an enormous part of my life and has contributed greatly to my creativity.



exibition

9. Photographs


Other photographs can be a great way to give you ideas and to motivate you to go out an shoot. Photographic exhibitions are a bit different than books because of the presentation element. We can see very large prints or specialized alternative process prints, or photographic installations. This all makes the experience of the photographs different because of their environment. The object of the print is part of a different level of experience. If you ever get the opportunity you should go and see some original Ansel Adams prints. Just go and you will understand.



thinking

10. Random Thoughts


I do not know about you but I have creative and other random thoughts coursing through my brain all day long. I literally have to turn them off. So many of my creative ideas are plucked from this stream. I am not sure how someone turns it on, but if you can you can open up a wealth of great ideas. The nice thing about these thoughts is that they can be pretty abstract. Then your job becomes how do you realize them or approximate them in a photograph. You could also place dreams in this category. Luckily the new digital technologies can help you express some of these more abstract ideas.

by Gary@Red Photo
www.redphotophotography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment